Friday, August 20, 2010

Control

Recently I became aware of a situation where someone was deliberately trying to sabotage me. No, I'm not paranoid...the third party confronted me with the issue and it became clear to both of us what happened. The person tried to manipulate both of us, not realizing that we would talk it through rationally and see the truth. Her goal was obviously to turn us against one another. What's funny is that what she was accusing me of doing, is what she herself was doing. She had been "venting" and "confiding" her thoughts and feelings about this other person to me; and while I did not begin or contribute to these conversations, I realize now that by listening, I too was at fault. I should have immediately responded with "you should tell her you feel that way" or "why don't we just ask her right now?" or simply just changed the subject. I left myself open to her malicious intent, by participating in any conversation at all. Needless to say, it will not happen again. I thought about why someone would do this, and the only answer is insecurity and self doubt. The classic syndrome of trying to make someone else look bad in an attempt to make yourself look better. Sad. This confirmed that this person feels threatened by me...which tells me that I am on the right track! If the only thing she could do to try to make me look bad was lie, then obviously I am doing everything else right...more importantly, better than she is! I win without even entering the race.
When I first heard about this, I was upset and angry. After thinking and praying about it, I decided to forgive and forget. No confrontation, no angry words, no retaliation, not even a discussion to let her know she's been exposed. Why? Because it's simply not necessary. It will soon become very clear to her that I will not participate in any more of her foolishness. I realize that while I can not control her actions, I can control my own. I choose my actions, as well as my reactions. So, I choose not to let her affect me, except as motivation to continue improving myself.
Once again...I will triumph. I will survive. I will be ME. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment